Saturday, November 13, 2010

What to do, what to do...

First of all, we had to decide what to do... we really had no idea.  I called our family doctor first thing the next morning.  I can still remember how I felt when I said our son just told us he was on heroin, what do we do.  He calmly said the most important thing is that he stop using.  Well, it sounds obvious now, but at the time, it sounded brilliant.  The doctor told us to call a treatment place that was connected with our insurance company and clinic.  So, of course I tried to call immediately, wouldn't you know, they were closed for the holiday weekend.  Well, at least it was a start...

That weekend was so hard.  Son2 insisted on going back to school, I was so afraid for him.  Of course, our biggest fear was overdose.  I tried to convince him to stay home, but he wouldn't.  I tried to get a promise from him to stay clean until we could get him in rehab or something, but he was sort of non-committing.  That was the beginning of my education on just what this disease is all about.  So, we drove him back to school, right after we met Son1 and his wife for lunch where Son2 told them what was going on.  Many tears later, we dropped Son2 off at his dorm where we met his new girlfriend.  Information overload.  I don't think I slept for a week.

We got him in for an evaluation that following week.

No comments:

Post a Comment