Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What we don't want to see

This past fall (before I started my blog) my husband and I did an anonymous tv interview as parents of an addict.  The gist of it was prescription drug use escalating to hard drugs, i.e. heroin.  So, we told our story, 3 minutes of it was broadcast and it was also posted on the station's website.  I was horrified by one of the comments on the website in response.  A woman had posted something to the effect of how she couldn't believe how stupid could parents be not to notice their kid was on drugs.  It felt like a cold slap in the face and it bothered me a lot for days, so much I couldn't concentrate at work.  A couple days later I ventured on the site again and was surprised to find that a number of people had come to our defense online.

I thought of that this week with the recent perceived attacks involving blogs I follow.  There are all kinds of content on these blogs, some we don't want to see, some make sense, some don't, some are good and some not so much.  It's overwhelming at first, that's for sure.  Yeah, some of it bothers me, a lot.  But, the thing is, it all gives me a lot to think about, and I appreciate all the different points of view, and the very different approaches and styles.

I hate to see anyone get offended, and I am surely one to avoid confrontation.  But I really hope this is a free exchange, free to speak, and free to ignore.  Take what you need, leave the rest...

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you went back to read the comments of the people who defended you. I was getting ready to ask where that site was so I could give that lady a piece of my mind (like I have any to spare!)

    I can only guess that she has never had a child on drugs OR that her child made it obvious. I think the majority of us find out after its been going on for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...think you were wise doing it anonymously ... sometimes even after they recover the "google factor" can come back to bite them on the ass as far as employment etc...

    People are what they are ...i had blogged about the "other side" ..

    http://addictionjournal.net/?p=827

    hope this helps...

    think you are doing a great job advocating

    ReplyDelete