Monday, December 31, 2012

Another December, Another year....

Son2 had a birthday a couple weeks ago, he is 23 now.  We didn't see him for his birthday, which was a little weird, because of finals. But if all goes well, this will be the last year finals will get in the way of his birthday.  He is hoping to graduate in May.  I am hopefully optimistic about this, and as some of you know, he's come a long way.  It feels good to be looking forward to college graduation.

Christmas is over and lots of time with family. The weeks before Christmas were hectic and I have to say I was relieved when all of that was over.  I've been off work since and it felt pretty good to relax and not do much, low stress... Son2 was here for a few days, hung out and slept a lot. He also went to speak at his outpatient group.  He keeps in touch with his drug counselor, and comes back to speak every once in a while.  It is a good thing.

Son2's punk band has their first paying gig tonight, New Year's Eve.  He is pretty excited and  it's nice to see him so involved, having friends, being organized, having success in what he does.

I had kind of a rough year at work.  I was promoted about a year and a half ago, and after this past year, I was seriously thinking that was a mistake.  The stress and workload was immense (to me), and I wanted out.  I guess I don't handle stress well. I was on a project that took a big toll on me, and I guess I just burned out.  So... anyway, can't figure out what to do. I am in my 50's and the thought of looking for a new job scares the crap out of me.  I can't retire yet either, financially not a good idea. I started high blood pressure meds last summer, doctor said do what I can about reducing stress.  I will be working in a little different area after New Year's, so we'll see how that goes.

All of this has been rolling around in my head while I've been home the last few days.  Today, I ran across this quote, and it gave me a lift.

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.  You must do the thing you think you cannot do."  --Eleanor Roosevelt

Happy New Year to all, bring on 2013!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the end of a fairly rewarding year, Happy New Year for 2013. Be strong and take care of yourself. Celebrate the victories, enjoy the rewards and commiserate on the bad only long enough to learn then move on.

    That makes for a happier person in me hope it works for you too.

    ReplyDelete